On my 24th birthday, I wanted to share 24 of what I think are some of the most important things I’ve learned so far in my life.
1. You are responsible for your own happiness. You can’t rely on anyone else to make YOU happy.
2. The people you surround yourself with have a big impact on your energy and your mindset. Choose wisely.
3. STOP WORRYING ABOUT WHAT PEOPLE THINK ABOUT YOU. Your opinion of yourself is the only one that matters.
4. It’s hard to love yourself but it is so, so important to love yourself unconditionally for all your flaws and strengths.
5. Choose long term happiness over short term gratification.
6. Don’t feel like you have to hold on toxic relationships. Friends, significant others, coworkers, even family members. If someone is making you feel like shit about yourself & does not support you, you don’t need that person in your life.
7. Gratitude can change your life. A daily gratitude journal (write 3 things every day you’re grateful for) can change your entire perspective and outlook on life.
8. Wear whatever the hell you want. Life is more enjoyable when you’re comfortable and you love your outfit.
9. Not everyone is going to like you. Not everyone is going to support you. Cherish the ones who do, don’t give another thought to the ones who don’t.
10. Make people feel appreciated. Let people know when they do something that makes you happy.
11. Learning to compromise will save friendships and relationships. Apologize first. Don’t hold grudges. Holding hate in your heart hurts YOU more than anyone else.
12. When you’re on your deathbed, you won’t be happy with how many hours you spent watching Netflix and browsing social media. Do it less, spend more time living.
13. It’s never too late to chase your dreams. Whether you’re 25 or 50 or 80, if you want something work your ass off until you get it.
14. You can really do anything you set your mind to. Set a goal, make a plan, put in the work until you’re successful. Quit making excuses and get out of your own way. If you aren’t willing to put in the work, you don’t want it bad enough.
15. What you say about others says more about you than it says about them.
16. Trying and failing is better than never trying at all and wondering what could’ve been. Don’t let the fear of failure keep you from following your dreams.
17. Ignoring your problems or self-medicating with food/alcohol/avoidance/other unhealthy options will not make them go away. Face them head on, deal with them, do not be ashamed to ask for help, and feel like a badass when you survive and make it through.
18. Literally every single person you meet is fighting a battle that you cannot see. Everyone has their own issues, demons, and insecurities. It costs you nothing to BE NICE to people. Be a good person.
19. Do nice things without expecting anything in return. Do it to make others happy and do it for your own happiness, but if it’s not appreciated don’t let the lack of acknowledgement or gratitude make you bitter. Do it anyways.
20. Don’t keep things in your life or do things that make you unhappy. Whether that’s your job, your eating habits, your tendency to let your apartment get messy, your laziness, the people you hang out with, whatever. If it makes you unhappy, change it.
21. Learn new things. Read, take a class, talk to someone about a topic they know a lot about, pick up a new hobby. Be a lifelong learner. It makes you more interesting and keeps life fun.
22. You have a responsibility to leave the world a little better than it was when you came into it. Don’t be so involved in your own life that you forget to bless others as you have been blessed. Volunteer, donate, be an activist. Even if you just help an older person load their groceries in their car or hold the door for someone today, every little bit helps. If you make the life of one person a little better, you’ve made a difference.
23. Not everyone has your best interest at heart and you don’t have to take every piece of advice that’s given to you. Listen, reflect, respond respectfully, but don’t feel obligated to follow it.
24. Everything that happens to you is in your best interest and is an opportunity to grow. Everything. Every single positive and negative thing. Maintain a growth mindset through all seasons of life.
Thanks for reading!! And thank you to all you beautiful, amazing, inspiring people who have made my 24 years here absolutely wonderful. I’m truly blessed with awesome, supportive people in my life and I’m so grateful. Don’t forget to share this post if you know someone who might benefit from one or two of the things I’ve learned so far in my life.